Monday, October 27, 2008

Cheese Straws


Note: I am fortunate to live in Mississippi. Home of the Mississippi Cheese Straw Factory. You will find cheese straws gracing the best of the best in weddings, bridal and baby showers, tailgating parties and just casual family nights. Flavors abound with traditional, lemon straws, mudpuppies, three cheese, key lime, pineapple coconut, asiago cheese.... ahhhhh! As their website says, the mouth has 10,000 taste buds. I hope that is enough.

Of course, if you are a Mississippi girl, you have a cheese straw recipe tucked away in your recipe box whether you use it or not.

 CHEESE STRAWS

Ingredients:
16 ounces of extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups corn oil margarine, softened
4 cups flour1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Beat the cheese and margarine in bowl of an electric mixer until blended. Sift the flour, sugar, cayenne, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. Add to margarine-cheese mixture and blend. Spoon into a cookie press. Pipe into straws onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes or until light brown. Cool on pan for 5 minutes.

For more delicious recipes to fill your recipe box, visit Lisa at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday!

12 comments:

Addicted to Beadz said...

Sounds yummy!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheryl

Live.Love.Eat said...

Wow, I may need to go buy a cookie press.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

These sound scrumptious! I've seen these cheese straws done w/o a cookie press using the end of a ziploc bag cut off, too. :D

have a great Tuesday!
Sherry

Anonymous said...

I'm a cheese addict! Looks yummy!

Beverly said...

How much flour do you use? Sounds really good!

Beverly said...

Never mind...I looked again and found the flour measurements. Sorry!

Carrie said...

I never got cheese straws. I mean I never understood cheese straws. But then, I tasted them fresh and it was like "aaaaaaaaaaaaah (angelic singing from the heavens)"

Now I think I'll be making them for myself. I could use a few angels singing in my kitchen, or cleaning maybe.

Carrie said...

Okay, my captcha word I had to put in for my last comment was iturdstr. haha That makes me giggle.

Jamey said...

Wow, I never heard of this but I am a Cali girl, thanks for sharing.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Cool, a recipe for the cheese straws! yeah you!

Lisa Cobler said...

This sounds like a very yummy recipe.

A happy heart at home said...

I've never heard of cheese straws. What do they look like? Taste like?

~Susan

P.S. Yes, I'm a Northerner! :)