Monday, October 13, 2008

Pineapple Au Gratin


Note: This is one of the saddest recipes I have ever gotten. When we were first married, one of the married couples at our church experienced what is every couple's nightmare. He was tragically killed one morning while working on his car. I will never forget that day. Our entire church was in shock and just all naturally drove to the church to pray and grieve together. Not too long after the funeral, his wife had some of us over for dinner and she prepared this casserole. It was so delicious, but I just didn't think it was appropriate to ask her for the recipe. About a year later I finally asked her and she shared it with me. I love this recipe, but I don't make it often because it reminds me of that terribly, tragic day. (Hence no photo.)

PINEAPPLE AU GRATIN

Ingredients:
3/4 cup of sugar
3 tablespoons of flour
1 (20-ounce) can of chunk pineapple, drained
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
3/4 cup of buttery round cracker crumbs
1/2 stick of melted butter

Directions:
Mix sugar and flour, and add pineapple. Spoon into a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Cover with cheese. Top with cracker crumbs that have been stirred into the melted butter. Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly.

12 comments:

Carrie said...

That is so sad!!

This recipe sounded so good that I read it aloud to my husband.

We are both restricting carbs right now, so I told him that we can't eat what I'm about to tell you, but I need to share my torment with someone!

uuuuuuuuhhhhh mee wants sooooome baaad...

Lana said...

I had this once but did not get the recipe! I'm excited to finally have it. Thanks for sharing a tough story.

Addicted to Beadz said...

Deanna,

That is such a sad story. Life is so full hard times. But, I think it is awesome that this wife made dinner and has some families over.

Thanks for sharing. Who would think Pineapple Au Gratin?

Have a great day!
Cheryl

Live.Love.Eat said...

Hi Deanna. Your 1st sentence had me wondering right away. So awful the story behind what sounds like an awesome dish!!!

Since it's SITS day come on over. I gave you a shout out.

From the Doghouse said...

Sad story. How is she doing?

Deanna said...

Doghouse - Her boys are grown and in college and her daughter is a senior in high school. It is hard to believe so much time has passed. I am friends with her boys on Facebook and keep in touch with them. The youngest son is a mirror image of his Dad. They all have turned out beautifully. Mom is doing well also.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Wow, what a story. I can tell, that it still grieves you. The recipe sounds so interesting. I will have to try it. Thanks, as always.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I'm sorry this recipe bring sad memories. :(

I love this recipe though. I had this for the first time when we lived in N.C. and loved it! :D

It may look different and odd, but it is yummy! :D

Unknown said...

I LOVE this recipe. I've had it quite often and it is so good.

Laura said...

I have made a similar recipe this last year. I thought it sounded a little stranger. However it was so delcilous and I served it with ham. I like to combine the two together. I would be happy, just serving this on top of a slice of ham.

Decor To Adore said...

Oh Yum!

Lisa Cobler said...

That sounds yummy! Can't wait to try it.