Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Divinity

Note: It isn't Christmas if you don't eat or at least see one piece of divinity!

Christmas Divinity

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white corn syrup
1 egg white stiffly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup broken nut meats (optional)
Pinch of salt
Food coloring (optional)

Directions:
Beat the egg white in a large bowl and set aside. In a saucepan, boil the sugar, water and syrup while stirring gently. The mixture is done at 235 degrees or if it forms a soft ball when a tablespoon full is dropped into cold water.
Pour the mixture over the beaten egg white, beating continually. Add vanilla, nuts and a pinch of salt. Add a few drops of red or green food coloring if desired. Beat this mixture until it is almost hard, then drop by the teaspoonful onto waxed paper.
Makes about 35 - 40 pieces.

3 comments:

Live.Love.Eat said...

Hmmm, I never heard of these before. You're always introducing new things to me :)

Carrie said...

We ALWAYS made divinity at Christmastime! Pink, white, and mint colored! It is my Mom's favorite!

I might have to make this again just for old times sake!

Michelle said...

I absolutely love Divinity at Christmas time, but here in Louisiana it's so hard to make due to the humidity. I have never made it myself, but watched my mom and sister make it in Alabama two years ago.