Monday, December 29, 2008

RecipeCurio

I found a new (to me) cooking website. Why does it appeal to me so? Because it focuses on saving vintage handwritten recipe cards and newspaper recipes. I love looking through all the handwritten recipe cards. I think they speak to me because most of my recipes come from ones that I grew up watching my own Mom and Grandmother prepare in their kitchens.

It has inspired me to go home and scan in my Mother's recipe cards (if you will dare let me... you know how Southern cooks are) so that I can have them forever as keepsakes.

In addition to handwritten cards, there are also vintage booklets from Jell-O, Bisquick, Kerr, Betty Crocker and more.

There is just something about having a recipe not only the one your Mom used, but having it written in her handwriting. I think that Mom has one of my Mammaw's cookbooks too and I definitely want to scan those.

Check out RecipeCurio!

Here is one of the recipes I found from the 1930's vintage booklet "55 Recipes You Can Make With Hershey Chocolate"

Chocolate Butterscotch Pie

Ingredients:
2 cupfuls milk
6 tablespoonfuls HERSHEY’S Syrup
1/2 cupful flour
3/4 cupful brown sugar
2 tablespoonfuls butter
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoonful salt
1/2 teaspoonful vanilla.

Directions:
Sift the flour and salt together and mix to a paste with a little cold milk or water, and add Hershey’s Syrup to this paste. Bring 2 cupfuls of milk to the boiling point, add the flour mixture and cook till thick. Meantime, cook the butter and brown sugar together just till well blended, add to the flour and milk and mix well. Pour over the well-beaten yolks of the eggs and stir over boiling water for a few moments, then pour into a previously baked pie shell and cover with a meringue made by beating the whites of the eggs to a stiff froth with 4 tablespoonfuls of granulated sugar. Flavor delicately with vanilla. Brown in a very slow oven and serve cold.

2 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

The home recipes are the best.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Very cool site. I'll have to check it out. While I don't have any handwritten recipes from my mom or fam I do have my own so maybe this site will benefit me in some way.