Thursday, December 11, 2008

Coca Cola Cake

Note: I will never forget the day I walked into a bakery here in town and saw that they were selling Coca Cola cakes for $24.

Coca~Cola Cake

Ingredients:
1 cup Coca-Cola
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 stick margarine
3 T. cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
Preparation - In a saucepan, combine Coca-Cola, oil, margarine, and cocoa. Bring to a boil, over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside. In a large bowl, mix together sugar, flour and salt. Add the mixture from the saucepan and beat well. Add eggs, buttermilk, soda, and vanilla, then beat well. Pour into a greased and floured sheet cake pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 350ยบ for 20 to 25 minutes.


Frosting for Coca-Cola Cake

Ingredients:
1/2 cup margarine
3 T. cocoa
6 T. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup pecans - chopped
1 lb.confectioners sugar

Directions:
Preparation - In a saucepan, combine the margerine, cocoa, and milk. Heat over medium heat until the margerine melts, while stirring to mix together well. Add the remaning ingredients and beat hard. Spread on the cooled Coca-Cola Cake.

7 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh you've just brought back the memories. My mom used to make these and I have the recipe SOMEWHERE. Now I have it here on the net! Thanks!

From the Doghouse said...

Down here, wouldn't that be Co-Coler?

;)

Carrie said...

I saw this item on a few menus serving "low country" cuisine. I have to admit I've never had it. It sounds really good!

p.s. Is $24 cheap or expensive?

Deanna said...

Carrie - I know you are joking... $24.00 is crazy outrageous. I could make a ton of cakes for that amount of money.

Doghouse - Cocoler is right! Your Mississippi is showing!

Tammy - Hope it is part as good as your Moms!

Unknown said...

Wow! This has to be one of the most original cakes I've ever come across :). How tasty! I'd like to feature your recipe on our blog, please let me know if you're interested.

Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
sophie@keyingredient.com

Live.Love.Eat said...

I'll have to make this sometime because I have heard of it too many times to keep ignoring it. Must make!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

The cake looks so yummy. I will have to try that one for the holidays. Thanks for sharing.
Merry Christmas~
Lisa