Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Barbecued Brisket

Note: Brisket is one of the first things I learned to cook as a newlywed. I would cook it for Sunday dinner and we would eat it for leftovers during the week.



Barbecued Brisket



Ingredients:
1 (5- to 6-lb.) beef brisket

3 oz. liquid smoke

Celery salt

Garlic salt

Onion salt

Worcestershire sauce

6 oz. barbecue sauce

2 T. flour

1/2 cup water



Directions:
Place brisket into oblong baking dish. Sprinkle with liquid smoke and salts; marinate overnight. When ready to bake, sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce. Cover loosely with foil and bake at 275 degrees for 5 hours. Uncover; pour barbecue sauce over brisket. Cook uncovered 1 hour. Remove to platter; cool before slicing. Remove fat from sauce remaining in dish. Add flour and water to sauce; stir. Cook until thickened. Serve sauce hot with meat.

7 comments:

Prudy said...

That is one gorgeous brisket. Perfectly cooked and sliced too. Bet it's delicious.

Dr. Wifey said...

i LOVE brisket! this is one of my dad's specialties that he cooks on the smoker. i usually marinade it by using the Cajun Injector with my own special blend of seasonings...this makes me want to go home to MS! LOL

From the Doghouse said...

When do I put in my order?

Live.Love.Eat said...

All I can say is WOW. And since this is not something I have ever cooked I am adding it to my sidebar list of things to make. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Laura said...

Now that sounds like yummy brisket. Cooking slow and low is so good for meat, so I'm gonna have to try this.

HEATHER said...

That is a beautiful brisket!!!
I fixed one yesterday, in the oven, (for the first time-usually done in a slow cooker), and it is just horrid!!!
I baked it at 300 for six hours, and it was hard. Like I said I usually cook them in my slow cooker, overnight and they just fall apart. I will have to remember this for when I want to make another one in the oven.

Tina Butler said...

You brisket looks perfect. I can taste it now. Thats the only way to cook brisket very slow and on low.