Friday, September 5, 2008

Chess Squares

Note: I got this recipe from my Mom. It is one of my baby sister's and brother-in-law's favorites so I always make it at the holidays to take home.


Chess Squares


Ingredients:

1 yellow cake mix

1 stick margarine, melted

1 egg

1 box confectioners' sugar

8 ounce pkg. cream cheese

2 eggs



Directions:

Mix first three ingredients with fork. Press into the bottom of 9 x 13 pan sprayed lightly with Pam. Cream eggs and cream cheese. Add sugar. Pour over bottom mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Cool and cut.


Options: Try sprinkling chocolate chips on the cake mix layer before pouring the cream cheese over. Try a different flavor cake mix such as chocolate or lemon. Add a little flavoring to your cream cheese mixture such as almond or lemon. Although I love experimenting with this recipe, it seems like everyone's favorite is the "original".

8 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

these are my favorite! LOVE them, i could eat a whole pan of them.

you have the luckiest hubby and kids ever!

Carrie said...

This sounds GOOD! I'm making Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars this weekend. I'm going to gain fifteen pounds this weekend also...

Prudy said...

Congrats on your award and those bars look wonderful plus thanks for the options you listed.

From the Doghouse said...

Checkmate.

;)

Live.Love.Eat said...

Ok, I was going to make the snickerdoodles this weekend but I think I am making these instead. I love the simplicity of your treats!!!!

Deanna said...

Oh if I had to choose, I would definitely make these!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Made these and LOVED 'em. Will post this week!!! Thank you for passing on such good stuff!!!!!

Wills Kitchen said...

Yum Yum I love these at our office lunches but have never made them. We got a little over 7 inches of rain and hope not to see that much with Ike, hope it goes on west.