Monday, September 29, 2008

Pocketbook Rolls


Note: The best part about this recipe is the fact that you can keep the dough in the refrigerator and roll out as you need them.

Pocketbook Rolls

Ingredients:
1 cup Crisco
1 cup hot water
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp salt
2 pkgs. yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
6 cups all purpose flour

Directions:
Melt Crisco in hot water. In a separate bowl, beat together sugar, eggs and salt. Add yeast dissolved in lukewarm water; mix well. Add flour. Knead together thoroughly. Allow to stand in refrigerator for 1 hour.

You can leave this in the refrigator overnight or as long as 5 days. Flour dough down and roll out to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut in 3 inch circles and fold in half. Put on baking sheet and baste with melted butter. Allow to rise until doubled in size.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 6 minutes or until golden brown. Recipe makes about 50 rolls.
For more great recipes, go and visit Lisa at Blessed with Grace. Bring a recipe with you!

7 comments:

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Yum. That sounds good, and not so hard. I am always intimidated about making bread.

Addicted to Beadz said...

Deanna,

I so love rolls! Homemade are even better.

Thanks for sharing.

Have a great day!
Cheryl

Prudy said...

What a great recipe. I had a roll recipe like this that you could just pull out a bit a time, but I've lost it. Thanks for printing this one!

flowerpot said...

Sounds yummy! We love bread in this family. mmmm.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh yikes. I need rolls. But I don't knead. Never have. One of these days I'm gonna try it.

From the Doghouse said...

OK, I'm intrigued. Let's do it.

Nanna said...

IT's been a long time since I've made homemade rolls, my husbands Aunt use to keep a starter in the fridge & whip up homemade bread everytime company stopped by
Helen