Saturday, July 12, 2008

Happy Pecan Pie Day!

Note: My sister made this pecan pie at Christmas and I fell in love. She told me it was the recipe that Char uses for their pecan pie. I don't know how she convinced them to give her the recipe, but I am so glad she did.

Char's Pecan Pie

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups sugar
6 tablespoons lightly salted butter
1 cup light corn syrup
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 teaspoons Mexican vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1 9-inch pie crust, unbaked

Directions:
Place sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a small pot, and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Set aside to cool. In a bowl, mix eggs, pecans, vanilla, and salt, and blend with a whisk. When the syrup mixture has cooled, combine with pecan mixture. Add white chocolate chips, and mix well.
Pour into prepared pie crust. Bake at 300 for 35-50 minutes. (Note: it took me much longer than that!) Remove from oven, and allow to cool at room temperature. Wrap pie with plastic wrap, and place in freezer until frozen or until ready to serve. Remove from freezer, and allow to stand at room temperature for 1 hour before cutting. Heat each portion of pie, and top with ice cream.

1 comment:

Tina Butler said...

That sounds good. Interesting with the white chocolate chips added. I have to admit the only vanilla for me is mexican vanilla it doesnt come any better. I am going to give your pie a try. How does the white chocolate compliment the pie?