Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Old Fashioned Snacks for Olympics - Ha!

Our family is really enjoying watching the Olympic Trials. We have been watching everything that we can find: wrestling, swimming, gymnastics, track and field, diving... There is a girl from our local town who is competing in track and field so that is one of the reasons why we wanted the boys to watch. Plus, watching the Olympics is like a family tradition. My baby sister was hugely into gymnastics (even Olympics material herself) so we always watched the Olympics.

When doing a little grocery shopping they had a big sale on some of our favorite sodas and so I told the boys we would pick up some of our favorite flavors to enjoy during our Olympic watching. While there I also saw a Jiffy Pop popcorn. My boys have never seen popcorn made any way but in the microwave so I thought this would be fun. (Over to the side is a coconut juice... I posted on that earlier!)




You should have seen their eyes and the Jiffy Pop started popping and rising and steaming. They thought it was the best thing ever. That was definitely a $1.39 well spent.

While snacking one of my boys said: "Old fashioned popcorn is the BEST!"

1 comment:

HEATHER said...

Deanna, a while back there was a story about how the chemicals in the microwave popcorn was making the factory workers who worked in it sick with lung disease. So I got all freaked out and bought an old fashioned stove top corn popper. A whirly-pop. I had forgotten how good homemade popcorn was! You can buy the whirly pop at Cracker Barrel for about $20 or you can find them online. You only have to use a tablespoon of oil, I use olive, it is so light. I bet your boys would love it! You have to turn a handle when it starts popping. The pot gets horribly hot so this would be something mom would supervise, but believe me it is so worth it!