Sunday, August 31, 2008

Cooking for the Storm

I always spend part of Sunday cooking foods for the week, but today has been kind of different. We have all been preparing for an uninvited and very unwelcome guest -- Gustav. Today I have been busy trying cook things to feed my family in case we lose our electricity for an extended period of time like we did after Katrina.

I have prepared several things:

* Hawaiian bread
* chocolate chip bread
* no bake chocolate cookies (my husband asked please)
* spanish rice
* two racks of pineapple glazed ribs
* macaroni and cheese
* pasta salad
* trail mix
* cut veggies
* granola
* lemonade and sweet tea
* gallons of water

I also turned my refrigerator down to its coldest setting. If the electricity goes off I want to make sure that the refrigerator is as cold as it can be for as long as it can be.

I have several recipes that will automatically post over the next few days if we lose electricity, but hopefully, hopefully, we won't.

If you are in the path like we are... stay safe and keep in touch when you can!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess I'm just a little lax in preparing for stuff like this. The only things I have are what I had on hand already, which does include water, PB, tuna, cracker, and cereals. My mom's friend, though, has a generator, water, flashlights, batteries, gas, etc, etc, etc. If something does happen...I'll go to her house! Hopefully, we won't have Katrina all over again! Looks like you're prepared though! PS...I'm adding you to my blogroll.

Deanna said...

Stay safe! Hopefully we won't be getting the bad stuff like Katrina. I think everyone is more prepared this time than before which is always a good thing.

Thanks for adding me!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Wow, you have been busy. Stay safe and prayers to you!!!!

I made your tea and it went over well. I will post at some point this week! Thank you!!!!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Hey, I am thinking about you, and praying that all is well. I am impressed with all your cooking preparations. Very good ideas. Okay, prayers to you!