Friday, August 8, 2008

Southern Sideboards

My Mom gave me this amazing cookbook right after I got married. It is one of my favorites. The recipes inside are from the Junior League of Jackson. They are truly southern.

A recipe from Southern Sideboards:

Chess Pie

Ingredients:
1 9 inch pie crust -- unbaked
1/2 cup butter or margarine -- melted
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt
3/4 tablespoon vinegar

Directions:
Prepare unbaked pie shell. Mix butter and sugar and simmer slowly, stirring, for 5 minutes. remove from heat and let cool slightly, stirring constantly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Add vanilla, salt and vinegar; mix well.Pour filling into pie shell and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 20-30 minutes. Shake pie gently. It is done when the center quivers slightly. Do not try to double recipe.Pie keeps well in the refrigerator overnight. Can freeze and reheat.

4 comments:

From the Doghouse said...

Is that still for sale anywhere?

Deanna said...

I am pretty sure you can get it at Barnes and Noble and Books a Million.

Tina Butler said...

That cookbook sounds wonderful. My favorite food is southern food. I am from Texas I found your blog from Cook it blog it. I will be visiting again.

Carrie said...

I've always wanted to try chess pie! Sounds delicous!