Monday, August 18, 2008

Mississippi Mud Cake


Note: During your fourth grader year of school in Mississippi, you participate and perform in a Mississippi play. When I was in the fourth grade I was selected to be in the square dance. My Mom made me the best square dance outfit of the group. At one point in the play we sang a song that said, "It's a treat to beat your feet in the Mississippi Mud". I always think of that song when I make this cake. I don't want to beat my feet in it, but boy is it a treat to sink your teeth in it!

Mississippi Mud Cake

Cake:

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cut into big chunks

½ cup cocoa

4 eggs, beaten well

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups sugar

1½ cups all-purpose flour

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts


Mississippi Mud Frosting:

One 16-ounce box (about 3 2/3 cups) confectioners’ sugar

½ cup cocoa

½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted

½ cup milk or evaporated milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 cups mini-marshmallows, or 3 cups marshmallows, quartered

Directions:

To make the cake, heat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 13-by-9-inch pan. In a medium saucepan, combine the butter and the cocoa and cook over medium heat, stirring now and then, until the butter is melted and the mixture is well blended, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the beaten eggs, vanilla, sugar, flour, salt, and pecans, and beat with a wooden spoon or spatula or with a mixer at low speed until the batter is well combined and smooth, and the flour has disappeared.

Quickly pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at the 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cake springs back when touched gently in the center and is beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan.

Prepare the frosting while the cake bakes; so that you will be ready to poor it over the hot cake. In a medium bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar and the cocoa, and stir to mix them well. Add the melted butter, milk and vanilla, and use a large spoon or mixer at low speed to beat everything together well. Set aside until the cake is done.

Remove the cake from the oven, scatter the marshmallows over the top, and return the cake to the hot oven form about 3 minutes, to soften the marshmallows.

Place the cake, still in the pan, on a wire rack or a folded kitchen towel. Pour the frosting all over the marshmallow-dotted cake, and cool to room temperature. Cut into small squares and serve.

9 comments:

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Yummy. Thanks for sharing. I want to make this NOW!

Felicity said...

Oh My!! *drool*

Dr. Wifey said...

you might as well just kill me now, girl! that cake looks so good!

Carrie said...

You truly are evil...

Nanna said...

morning Deanna, thanks for shopping by, I was just looking at my Miss Mud cake recipe lat night LOL I use marshmellow cream instead of the marshmellows, this makes it sinfully rich LOL
Helen

From the Doghouse said...

So, when should we come over? Is it ready yet?

Prudy said...

This is what I make for my birthday instead of plain old cake. I've been having it since I was little and I just love it. We made your bacon breadsticks- talk about yummy!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch... Now I've gotta go to the store and get the ingredients. that sounds amazingly good. Even though your recipes kill my diet, I wanted to tell you that I enjoy your blog so much I just passed an award on to you. http://apronstringsandangst.com/i-heart-bloggy-love-two-awards/

Deanna said...

I made this cake as a "coming home" cake for a family member. I didn't have the marshmallows so I doubled up on the icing. Oh my goodness!!