Monday, August 18, 2008

Grandma's Tomato Gravy

Note: I mentioned tomato gravy on my family blog and people started asking about it. My Grandma could make some mean tomato gravy. Oh, man! It was so delicious on biscuits. I wish I could say that I could make it the way she does there just isn't a chance. Some things can't be replaced with a recipe!



Grandma's Tomato Gravy



Ingredients:

1/4 cup bacon drippings
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups water
1/2 (6 ounce) can tomato paste OR 2 large tomatoes, peeled and diced small
salt and ground black pepper to taste



Directions:

Heat bacon drippings in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir the flour into the bacon drippings and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned. Slowly pour the water into the flour mixture while whisking. Whisk in the tomato paste (or fresh tomatoes). Cook the mixture until it begins to thicken. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thick, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

6 comments:

Dr. Wifey said...

i LOVE tomato gravy...haven't had it in a long time though

HEATHER said...

Wow! I had never heard of it until y'all started talking about it.
Sounds good!

From the Doghouse said...

When I saw the first ingredient, I knew I'd like it!

Live.Love.Eat said...

All I can say is WOW. You have some of the most unique recipes I never heard of. I'm trying the caribbean rice with beans tonight!!!!

Deanna said...

Wifey - I can make it a million times and it still isn't as good as Grandma's!

Heather - Oh it is soooo good on biscuits and with rice and pork chops!

Doghouse - You know it!

Steph - It is just my Southern-ness showing through I guess. Ha!

The JR said...

I wanted you to know I linked your recipe to my blog. I made "Grandma's Tomato Gravy", but left out the bacon grease.

It was very good. I will be making it again.

http://msredneck.blogspot.com/2009/01/tomato-gravy.html